Domestic Abuse Examples
Domestic violence can take on many forms, although all are types of abuse or maltreatment. Following are the most common types of domestic violence and examples of these offenses:
- Physical abuse: often referred to as battery domestic violence, physical abuse involves the actual hitting, striking or unwanted touching of a spouse, ex-spouse, family member or cohabitant. Physical abuse can result in serious or minor injuries, depending upon the particular situation.
- Emotional abuse: psychological or emotional abuse is maltreatment generally of a non-physical nature, meant to control the victim. Embarrassment, isolation, and humiliation are all forms of emotional abuse. Constantly criticizing the victim, belittling the victim and intimidating him or her are ways that emotional abuse is committed.
- Sexual abuse may involve any of a number of deviant sexual activities or unwanted/forced sexual acts. Spousal rape, child molestation, sexual assault and sexual battery are all forms of sexual abuse.
- Child abuse: when domestic violence is committed against a child, this is often referred to as child abuse. This may involve any form of maltreatment – physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse or molestation. Child abuse charges may involve a one-time occurrence or recurring instances of abuse.
- Spousal abuse: physically, sexually or emotionally abusing a spouse or ex-spouse comprises spousal abuse.
- Social abuse: this is a less commonly known form of domestic violence. This may involve actions to embarrass or humiliate the victim in social situations or may involve controlling who the victim sees and what the victim does.
Las Vegas Domestic Violence Defense Attorney
As an experienced Las Vegas domestic violence defense attorney, I understand how serious it is to face an accusation of this criminal charge. You need aggressive representation immediately in order to avoid the many negative consequences of a domestic violence accusation. You may face a restraining order that prohibits you from contacting the victim. If convicted, you may face imprisonment, heavy fines, community service and other criminal penalties.
You cannot afford to face a bleak future because you did not have the right criminal defense lawyer on your side in the face of your domestic violence charges. I offer a free consultation to discuss your charges and take on cases throughout all of Clark County, Nevada, including in Henderson and Las Vegas.
Looking for a Clark County domestic violence lawyer? Contact my firm today!